I realise there has been a lot of Lion King in this challenge, so while my top quote comes from LK, I did a top 5 to cover it…
- The Lion King – Rafiki, “The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it“. I’ve known this one for a while, but when Edd and I went to see The Lion King on stage (recommend for everyone, absolutely amazing), it really stuck out. There are so many “teachable moments” in Lion King, and some great ideas, but I think this is the best way. Accept your past, embrace it, and don’t run away.
- Moana – “I am Moana“. Not so much a quote as a line from a song, but it’s the moment where Moana realises that she is the product of her history, she knows exactly who she is and what she stands for. She’s happy in her skin, and she knows exactly who she’s going to be. Gives me chills every time.
- Winnie the Pooh – Christopher Robin, “If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.” This one used to have me in tears for quite a while after my Gran died – a friend sent it to me and I was a mess. But it’s true. And I love it.
- Cinderella – “Have courage and be kind” – what a lovely sentiment to live by. I find Cinderella a bit overrated, she’s certainly not my favourite Disney princess (hello, Jasmine) but it’s such a nice film. Watchable in whatever state (preferably hungover, as most things should be enjoyed), but I just love the quote. If we all lived by it – and I can’t say I do all the time- the world would be a little nicer.
- Alice in Wonderland – “It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” Have you ever looked back and realised how much you’ve changed? Writing my letters to my younger self, I can see just how different I am now. Probably a lot more cynical, sarcastic and a lot less naive, but also more confident in myself and my abilities. There’s always room for improvement, but I’m different to who I was back then. Different is always good*.
*Unless it’s a souffle, and then it should probably look like the rest of them.