For a self-confessed Disney addict, there are a fair few Disney films I haven’t seen, or don’t remember seeing, all the way through…
- Pinocchio (everyone knows the story, but I definitely don’t think I’ve seen it all the way through)
- The Black Cauldron
- Fantasia & Fantasia 2000
- Lilo & Stitch
- Brother Bear
Until Sunday, that list included Lady and The Tramp.
Some fun facts about Lady and the Tramp…
- Peggy Lee was not only the voice of Lady, but of Darling and the horrid cats, Si and Am. She went on to have a long legal battle with Disney regarding the rights to the transcripts.
- The animators working on Lady and the Tramp were surrounded by animals, to help them drive them in such a lifelike way. The animators also studied their own facial expressions to bring in the human element.
- There was a pet duck in the first drafts of the film, which didn’t make the cut. Personally I love the idea of a pet duck – but I’m glad we got the geese in The Aristocats!
- It was the very first animated film to be made in CinemaScope, which was brand new technology at the time. Admittedly, before I read up for this post, the only thing I knew about CinemaScope was the lyric in Hairspray’s “The Legend of Miss Baltimore Crabs” “This show isn’t broadcast in CINEMASCOPE”.
It’s not that I’ve avoided watching it, it just never fell in my lap. I grew up on a diet of The Lion King, Aladdin, and Oliver and Company(such an underrated Disney film), and less of the proper princesses. I read the book of the film though, that my Gran kept in the spare bedroom I used to sleep in, but never actually seen the film.
- How cute, is puppy Lady? I wouldn’t have shut her in my garage to begin with, she’d have been with me 24 hours a day. This is why I’m not allowed a puppy.
- How annoying is pregnant human owner? No bump, and still won’t take her dog for a walk…A DOG IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS, DARLING.
- Those cats are the creepiest things I’ve ever seen. Bleurgh. And the song gets stuck in your head allllll day.
- Who does Aunt Sarah think she is putting a muzzle on someone else’s dog? God complex, much?
- The Tramp is hot, no wonder Lady goes for him. (Oh come on, no one else thought that about Kovu?)
- One of the “best movie kisses in history” is sooooo cute. I get why this is such a loved moment.
- The Scottie Dog is the most underrated companion in all Disney films. Sorry Sebastian, Mushu and Abu, you’ve been outdone by a Scottie Dog. It’s like Monopoly all over again.
On the whole, a lovely film, and I can’t believe it took me so long to watch it.
NB: I still hate Aunt Sarah.